Author Topic: Huet "Stadix" 8x30 # 68773 with case; A.B. Type 6 for Belgian military?  (Read 497 times)

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
Unfortunately, I couldn't find much information about this pair of binoculars. The embossing on the leathercase's lid matches the serial (?) number 68773 of the binoculars.

Regarding to Hans, A.B is French for "Armée Belge". He states that before WW2 Belgian military binoculars were marked A.B.; After the war one finds A.B.L. (Armée Belge in French and "Belgisch Leger" in Dutch)
http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/oip_gand_8mal38/oip_gand_8mal38.html

A Belgian O.I.P. Grand WW1 pair of Galilean binoculars shows an A.B. type 2 designation. The above glass has A.B. type 6, therefore, a later type?
http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/oip_gand_belgien/oip_gand_galileiglas.html

Cross-shaped rotatable reticle in the right eyepiece. No wide angle occular design. Collimation by two eccentric rings.

What are the different type like? What kind of binoculars where type 1-6(-?)? Any further information appreciated!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:47:05 AM by Winfried Tuerk »
live without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "live without puc is possible ..."

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
I've a couple of them marked for Belgium but wonder why they made some themselves (the 8x38 with sliding eyecups for instance) but bought others from Huet.

Maybe Huet gave them a special price for older stock as my ones don't seem to be the same quality as French issued ones. ;)
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
What are the differences between Huet MG and Huet Belgium export binoculars Niall?
live without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "live without puc is possible ..."

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
Smaller oculars and less robust prism fixings if I remember rightly. Compare one to a Trinotix of the same period - the standard French army 8x30;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1935-Huet-Paris-France-8x30-Grand-Champion-Trinotix-Army-Binoculars-/192216769425

Zbig Fiema

• Global Moderator
Speaking of Trinotix, it is, in my opinion, one of the best French glasses. Pleasure to view things through, large oculars, robust construction, my favourite magnification....

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
A lovely glass indeed. ;)

Peter Schmoll Jr.

• Premium Membership
What are the different type like? What kind of binoculars where type 1-6(-?)? Any further information appreciated!

Hello Winfried,

I am aware of the following A.B. types, partly in the own collection, partly not:

A.B.Type 1 Gali Huet (Type 08)
A.B.Type 2 Gali Gand (Type 08)
A.B.Type 6 8x30 Huet "Stadix"
A.B.Type 8 7x20 Huet "Extra Lumineuse" (disassembled rangefinder scale and removed spatula in eyepiece)
A.B.Type 27 8x20 Huet "Extra Lumineuse"
A.B.Type 28 8x30 Huet "Stadix" !!! (without reticule)
A.B.Type 29 7x50 Huet "Stellix"
A.B.Type 31 8x38 Gand

greetings
Junior

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
Isn't there a brass plated Gand 7x50 too? I've seen it go around on Ebay I think. ;)

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
Hi Junior, thanks so much! Feel you like to create a little visual overview over Belgic military binoculars types? An Excel sheet (then coverted to pdf) with pictures of each type (whole bino) and stamps? I'm with you!
Rodolfo did so with Austro-Hungarian acceptance marks, very nice to use!
Cheers Winfried

Peter Schmoll Jr.

• Premium Membership
Hi Junior, thanks so much! Feel you like to create a little visual overview over Belgic military binoculars types? An Excel sheet (then coverted to pdf) with pictures of each type (whole bino) and stamps? I'm with you!

Hello Winfried,

is a great idea, but currently I know only the few A.B.Typen, so I want to look for more pieces first.
If you know more A.B.Types, just expand the list. ;)
... maybe we can then create a list together!

greetings
Junior

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
Re: Huet "Stadix" 8x30 # 68773 with case; A.B. Type 6 for Belgian military?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 05:58:24 PM »
Hi Junior,
OK, first we gather more information about Belgic military binoculars before starting the survey.
Cheers Winfried
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:48:47 PM by Winfried Tuerk »

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
One supplement to the above list of Belgean military binoculars:

A.B.Type 1 Gali Huet (Type 08)
A.B.Type 2 Gali Gand (Type 08)
A.B.Type 6 8x30 Huet "Stadix"
A.B.Type 8 7x20 Huet "Extra Lumineuse" (disassembled rangefinder scale and removed spatula in eyepiece)
A.B.Type 27 8x20 Huet "Extra Lumineuse"
A.B.Type 28 8x30 Huet "Stadix" !!! (without reticule)
A.B.Type 29 7x50 Huet "Stellix"
A.B.Type 29 7x50 OIP Gant
A.B.Type 31 8x38 Gand

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
...and here the case with identical number stamp for the 7x50 A.B. Type 29

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
Isn't there a brass plated Gand 7x50 too? I've seen it go around on Ebay I think.

That's the type I've seen on Ebay - did you buy it Winfried?

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
No Niall, 80 Euros seemed to me to be to high! ;)