October 01, 2020, 11:25:58 pm

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

Tripods & Optics breeding like rabbits!!!!

Started by Glen Sloan, July 28, 2018, 07:41:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen Sloan

Posting a link because posting photos is still like falling down stairs while holding a bag of broken glass...

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969724
Glen
Collector of Wehrmacht Optics, Ordnance & Field Equipment  
whsammler1@yahoo.com

Niall McLaren

Best not to mention broken glass on an optics forum Glen... ;D
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Rodolfo Peirano

Nice set of tripods, but the repair. . . Better to forget.  :(
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Peter De Laet

Very nice set-up Glen, thanks for showing - glad the tripod turned out right. But I must admit that the thing which has given me the greatest pleasure is the printed paper you have lying on the ground; "Achtung..." Marvellous! I wouldn't mind a copy! Also; we're still working on improving image upload - hang on in there for now.
"Wer schaffen will, muss fröhlich sein!" Theodor Fontane, 1819-1898.

Rodolfo Peirano

Peter, can you kindly translate? It looks like a mixture of languages. . . ;)

Micah Meyers

August 04, 2018, 12:55:12 am #5 Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:01:45 am by Micah Meyers
Quote from: Rodolfo Peirano on July 29, 2018, 01:58:06 am
Peter, can you kindly translate? It looks like a mixture of languages. . . ;)

Rodolfo/Peter -

Its an old joke sign making fun of German obsessive and scientific anxiety about their equipment.  My mother used to have this exact sign up next to the photocopy machine at the company she worked at in the 1970s.  The language is 'Germanish"/humorous smash-up of German and English, like in old war movies.  It originally went like this:

Das machine ist nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengraben
Is too easy schnappen der springenwerk und blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken
Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dumkopfen or das rubbernecken sightseeren.
Keepen das hands in der own pickenpockets und relaxen und watch der blinkenlights 

Basically the meaning is (sentence for sentence):

This machine is not for poking your fingers into or touching with your mitts (hands)
It's delicate and much too easy to snap (break) the springs and inner workings or cause blown fuses, popping corks (like champagne bottles) and causing sparks to spray all over the place
It's also not to be operated by either idiots or sight seers who are rubber-necking (casual observers who should mind their own business)
So, keep your hands in your pockets (in the U.S. South they say "cotton-pickin'", i.e. 'keep your cotton-pickin' hands away from this machine!')  and just sit and relax and watch the pretty lights blink on and off   (leave it alone, and enjoy how nice the lights look and don't touch a thing!)

Mostly seen around copier machines or other expensive office equipment... only experts are allowed to operate!                Finger Weg!!                  Finger Weg!!

;D
Subject Matter Expert, German land based optical fire control systems [telescopes, periscopes, artillerie, entfernungsmesser, zielgerate, zielfernrohren, fur turm/kampfwagenkanone u. panzerabwehrkanonen, u. erdzielfernrohr f. flak systeme.]

Rodolfo Peirano

Dear Micah,

Thanks a lot for the translation and the explication.

Very useful poster. Often unwary visitors tend to touch and break down everything. I tremble mainlyl when it approaches the now fragile tripods with relative optics mounted  ;)

Peter De Laet

An adapted version for bino-lovers - without Glen I'd never seen it. Thanks Micah for putting it into perspective! ;-)

Rodolfo Peirano

Dear Peter,

I think that we read us in thought.

While you were doing yours, I was doing mine.You preceded me your is more beautiful  ;)

Peter De Laet

Micah Meyers

August 06, 2018, 07:02:11 pm #10 Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:07:11 pm by Micah Meyers
I forgot the other clever intersection of Germanish of one the sentences that made U.S. Yanks chuckle:

"Keepen das hands in der own pickenpockets" also has elements of pick-pockets, insinuating the reader might be trying to steal something as well as break the office machinery.   ;D

Found this which is even richer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkenlights

Subject Matter Expert, German land based optical fire control systems [telescopes, periscopes, artillerie, entfernungsmesser, zielgerate, zielfernrohren, fur turm/kampfwagenkanone u. panzerabwehrkanonen, u. erdzielfernrohr f. flak systeme.]

Glen Sloan

So this thread is taking a turn away from its original topic so I thought an update was in order.

Please follow the link to see the results of some more work today stripping the green paint off my new Gestell40.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8229851#post8229851

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Glen
Collector of Wehrmacht Optics, Ordnance & Field Equipment  
whsammler1@yahoo.com

James Stewart

"Those binoculars you sold me, they just stand around waiting to be used and not breeding. You sold me queer binoculars, and I want my money back".