Hope all members are healthy and well
Started by Peter De Laet, April 12, 2020, 11:26:35 pm
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Quote from: Peter De Laet on April 12, 2020, 11:26:35 pmLipperhey invented the telescope in his shop/house located at the "Kapoenstraat" (painting, house at the extreme right). Later (and thanks to the revenue he received from selling his first three telescopes) he bought the house to the left of it, calling it "in de drie vare gesichten" (in the three vistas") in honor of these three telescopes. Unfortunately, a German aerial bombardment destroyed the premises on May 7th, 1940. During the reconstruction of the area, the Kapoenstraat vanished. From what we can see nowadays, Lipperhey's original shop must have been quite humble; it measured 6 x 6 meters at best. Today it serves as a parking space, allowing for two cars only.