Author Topic: Russian imperial 1916 8x24 ОПТИЧ.ЗАВОДЪ ГЛ.АРТИЛЛЕРИЯ.УПР  (Read 233 times)

Rodolfo Peirano

• Global Moderator
  • MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ! ! !
This my recent acquisition: is a 8x24 binoculars that I tried to decipher.

The shape is exactly like a Zeiss 8x24 but the leatherette differs from the Zeiss imprint. The objective housing are in two pieces with the one piece ring. Excluding the body, all the components are made of brass. About the inside I can not say anything because being clean and collimated, I had no reason to disassemble it. In the right ocular there is a reticle that you can see in the image.

The inscriptions on the prism plates are:

Left

ОПТИЧ.ЗАВОДЪ
ГЛАВНОE.АРТИЛЛЕРИЙСКOE.УПРАВЛЕНИЕ

OPTICAL FACTORY
ARTILLERY DIVISION

Right

ПРИЗМЕН.БИНОКЛИ
8x N°3681 1916 год

PRISMATIC BINOCULARS
8x N°3681 1916 year

(In red parts of words that are not engraved)

The translation should be correct, since it was made by my friend's Ukrainian wife.

The logos on the left and on the right are exactly the size and shape of the Zeiss one, and on the bridge there are two "π Greek" symbols inscribed in a circle. They are not well decipherable, so they could be Russian letters л or п (L or N).

I got to see another similar binoculars, (same characteristics and similar in shape and logos) but dated 1928, owned by a friend old  Russian collector, and I ask he more info about.

This person told me that his binoculars (1928) was made by “POZ Podolsky Optical Plant” on commission by the main artillery directorate of Red Army.  Of course in 1928 Russian the companies had already been nationalized, but in 1916 they were still imperial.

Since 1914 and before the 1918 the Russian main plant of optical production in Petrograd, was the “ГАУ Главное Aртиллерийское Управление оптический завод” = “GAU Main Artillery Office optical plant” and it was evacuated from Petrograd in the spring of 1918, and transferred to Podolsk in the autumn of the same year assuming the name of “ПОЗ Подольский оптический завод”. = “POZ Podolsky Optical Plant”.

Afterwards, in 1926 it was transferred to Pavshino village near Moscow (now Krasnogorsk). Since 1927 it has received the name of Precision Factory Mechanics No. 19. But we find out that the Precision Factory Mechanics No. 19 was the one in which the Riga Zeiss equipment had been transferred.

Too many coincidences to think that until 1916 there were still many connections between Zeiss and the imperial army, and that this binocular was built by the optical system "GAU Main Artillery Office" under the supervision of Zeiss, or Zeiss itself for the GAU

On the other hand also the Zeiss shape logo, was maintained at least until 1928.

Only coincidences, yes, but they make us think.

Interesting also the case with an Adrianova compass fixed on the lid.

This compass, unlike the fixed German ones, can be removed from the lid to be used for surveying. (This compass will be object of a my short work concerning binoculars and compass)

A similar 1923 binocular is in the Fernglasmuseum by Hans.

http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/russisches_dienstglas_gau_6mal/russisches_dienstglas_gau_6mal.html

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:55:28 AM by Rodolfo Peirano »
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Rodolfo Peirano

• Global Moderator
Other images:

Zbig Fiema

• Global Moderator
I think that the abbreviations on your binoculars should rather read this way:

Гл(авноe) Артил(лерийскoe) Упр(авление)

Main Artillery Directorate

and you have it below as ГАУ

Rodolfo Peirano

• Global Moderator
I think that the abbreviations on your binoculars should rather read this way:

Main Artillery Directorate

and you have it below as ГАУ

Isn't the same of :

ГЛ.АРТИЛЛЕРИЯ.УПР (only black character) but in capital letters ?

However addition made  :) ! Thanks for the note
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 01:07:12 AM by Rodolfo Peirano »

Zbig Fiema

• Global Moderator
No, it was not the same. Glad that you have corrected your original transcription and reading.
Cheers, Zbig

Rodolfo Peirano

• Global Moderator
Dear Zibig,

Anyway, it is right to be precise, but it does not seem to me to be the most important thing. Without offense, it is really marginal  ;) ;) ;)