Author Topic: WW1 Voigtlander 8x25 Presentation Berlin Police Binocular  (Read 227 times)

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
WW1 Voigtlander 8x25 Presentation Berlin Police Binocular
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »
 Maybe a retiral gift?  According to my probably dodgy translation, 

Gewidmet von den Beamten des 1 Pol Rev Berlin d.24.3.1936

indicates it was

Dedicated From the officials The 1 Police District in March 1936,

just weeks after the remilitarisation of the Rhineland and 3 months before Hitler decreed the unification of all police forces in the Reich under Himmler effectively merging the police into the SS.

"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
Re: WW1 Voigtlander 8x25 Presentation Berlin Police Binocular
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:34:14 PM »
Hi Niall, interesting find! I wonder, if the pair represents a reworked 6x25 WW1 Dienstglas? On the right plate the ...glas from Dienstglas could be faintly readable.

There are many Voigtländer WW1 binoculars out there, that have been reworked after the Great War as they were from good quality.

Are the plates made from zinc? Due to lack of resources, often zinc plates replaced the brass or aluminum ones by the mid of the war.

If you're right with the retire gift theory, the policeman could be lucky not to get incorporated in Himmler's cruel SS police (Sicherheitspolizeit) in 1936...
live without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "live without puc is possible ..."

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
Re: WW1 Voigtlander 8x25 Presentation Berlin Police Binocular
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »
Yes Winfried - I should have added it was a rework  - well spotted and zinc plates so probably late war as you suggest ;)
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard