Author Topic: 1046510 1919 Zeiss Deltrentis used in Battle of Britain, Western Desert and Burma  (Read 374 times)

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
"Arrow" stamped Deltrentis 8 x 30 (from the second batch made in 1919) in a 189 Battery case marked GPOA.

189 Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery (HAA Bty RA) was part of the former 5th Battalion (Territorial Army), which had converted to anti-aircraft artillery in 1936, as the 67th (York and Lancaster) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery, served in the  Blitz, the Battle Of Britain (at Biggin Hill), the North African Campaign in 1941 before being transferred to India and then Burma where they were prominent at Imphal, and later at Mandalay. From October 1944 to January 1945 the regiment served as infantry due to the shortage of manpower in the British Army at the time.

“GPO Ack” is the assistant gun position officer. Anti-aircraft (AA).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:20:28 PM by Niall McLaren »
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
Niall, if you by chance come across the Deltrentis be kind and tell us its serial number and give us a picture of the objective view. I would like to compare. :)
live without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "live without puc is possible ..."

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
I'll see what I can do Winfried.  ;)

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
Serial Nr 1046510 Winfried. I can't get to my camera right now but it has a normal washer fitted and the spring is still visible for the locking screw.

Strangely, a slightly later one I have, 1047248, still has the small locking screw still fitted. I assumed the locking screw on the Anti-Aircraft Battery one had been replaced during manufacture by Zeiss but, as the binocular's arrow stamped, perhaps it was by British Army optical technicians?

Thomas Antoniades

• Premium Membership
  • Membership
I have re checked my original assessment for Deltrentis (in Dr Seeger's green book) and there are no changes to the groupings.
1046201-1046700
1046801-1048200

There are 25 examples recorded and they all have the small tightening screw (not a washer)

Thomas

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
Thanks Thomas - seemingly a British Army modification then.

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
Hi Thomas and Niall, what about this "Deltrentis"

http://binopedia.info/index.php?topic=527.0

# 1053062 (according to Seeger's Green Book from a Silvamar batch) and a washer instead of the prior big or little ("Markir") fixing knob? Late war steal feather still left.

Why changing the civilian Markir for a civilian washer?

I wonder if the big military knob was removed and replaced by the washer?
live without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "live without puc is possible ..."

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure Winfried - I've seen a few of these "ex tightening conversions" (and have a few here) and previously believed them to be transition pieces from Zeiss....