May 25, 2020, 09:24:24 pm

News:

Binopedia has changed the design, let us know what you think.

Ross 20x70 Aircraft Identification Telescope

Started by Niall McLaren, August 12, 2019, 09:13:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall McLaren

WW2 vintage and formed part of a twin telescope affair. The smaller power one brought the target to bear and this larger telescope identified it. Dessication ports and 3 filters fitted (Neutral, Clear and Yellow).
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

James Stewart

Niall , I have since obtained one of these monoculars, would love to see the full set up.

Niall McLaren

Have a look at the last picture i postaed above James - its design made it easy to break into monoculars hence few survive now intact. ;)

Uli Zeun

Attached is the only other picture I can find on the net of the Ross AI Telescope.
* Mr. Monocular *

Niall McLaren

The Ross one certainly seems a lot rarer than the CTS version. I wonder how much of this is due to numbers made and the ease of dismantling of the Ross.

The CTS can't be broken into individual scopes so is less liable to be broken up. The CTS also has higher magnifications s perhaps was better suited to higher flying aircraft identification.

Zbig Fiema

Should this Ross AA telescope Mk IV be considered as a further development of Ross AA telescope Mk III which did not have detachable monoculars?

Niall McLaren

I think they're different answers to a ministry contract - the CTS version versus the Ross version (I've not seen a Ross version that din't have easily removable monoculars Zbig) ;)

Zbig Fiema

I have meant this one, Niall, and I did not manage to remove the monoculars (but I am technologically challenged :-)

Niall McLaren

Don't feel too bad Zbig - you can't split that one. The light path goes from the objectives and a prism, through the horizontal barrels, into a deviation prism and then into the ocular. ;)