May 25, 2020, 09:08:01 pm

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

Russian monoculars NOVOSIBIRSK

Started by Rodolfo Peirano, August 31, 2019, 11:10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall McLaren

Some of these old Soviet era monoculars are great value with fine optics. Very underrated. ;)
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Rodolfo Peirano

I agree Niall,

like some cameras; the Zenith; it took great pictures and was as sturdy as a tank, but has always been rated very little. Perhaps due to the spartan construction  ;)
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Niall McLaren

Now you're evoking some happy memories Rodolfo. The Zenit TTL (Olympic edition) was my first 35mm camera and we had some great times. I used it for all my gig photos and then thought I'd uprate to a German Praktica B200 Electronic - which went on the blink at an Everly Brothers concert!

Now you can buy the Zenit on Ebay for £89 and the Praktica is listed for £1,299.99 (body only). Some things never change... ::)

Zbig Fiema

Ha, ha, Niall, I have gone a similar way. First Kiev (a copy of Leica) then Zenit TTL and then Praktica LTL. These were the times......Not sure about B200 model but a body of an ordinary Praktica (like L2) could recently be bought at the flea market in Berlin for 50 Euro...

Niall McLaren

I doubt the Praktica will actually sell for £1,299.99 but an old Kiev will probably sell Zbig. They're fine old cameras (I had one too) and ripe for KM marking being engraved on...

Hans Weigum

Quote from: Rodolfo Peirano on August 31, 2019, 11:10:37 pm
Little but sturdy  ;)

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Vintage-Russian-Mn-8x-Monocular-Made-in-USSR-CASE-INSTRUCTIONS/223638031196?hash=item3411dd8b5c:g:rcQAAOSwH6hdY7ps

There is a (rare) binocular, individual (rear) focussing version of the optically identical version of this instrument. Very sturdy looking, painted all in black or black and cream coloured.

Hans

Niall McLaren

Thanks Hans - I didn't know that but would like to see one. ;)

Uli Zeun

This nice Porro II monocular YM8-2 by Novosibirsk Instrument Making Plant is still available (e.g. www.npzoptics.com/catalog/day_optics/).
I got models painted anthracite, blue and greyish-white - I also saw a green and kakhi one on eBay.
Cf. www.monocular.info/urania.htm
The last picture also show the forerunner the YM8-1 sivlery-grey model.
* Mr. Monocular *

Niall McLaren

A nice clutch Uli (is that the collective term for monoculars?) ;)

Uli Zeun

Cyrillic "YM8" is in Latin "UM8" which in my opinion stands for "Urania Moncular 8x"
* Mr. Monocular *

Uli Zeun

* Mr. Monocular *

Uli Zeun

Quote from: Hans Weigum on October 22, 2019, 10:05:16 pm
There is a (rare) binocular, individual (rear) focussing version of the optically identical version of this instrument. Very sturdy looking, painted all in black or black and cream coloured.
Hans

Here you can see the little Russian gem (photos supplied by Hans W.)
* Mr. Monocular *

Niall McLaren

Zbig Fiema

Strange name KRUIZ  (Cruise?). Name of the model or factory?