Author Topic: Galilean opera glass questions  (Read 307 times)

Simon Kimberly

• Membership
Galilean opera glass questions
« on: December 30, 2019, 02:31:01 AM »
I have a pair of La Ville Paris Opera glasses that I originally believed could’ve been used during the first world war, however it seems the Lamarie field glasses were more common. Additionally, ive seen a picture of La Ville field glasses claiming to be from the civil war period. Also, ive seen that they were produced more commonly in the late 18 hundreds. (All pictures are attached). The binoculars work surprisingly well and the bearing compass is amazingly accurate. So what time period was this produced and could it have been used during the civil war? Also, could you guys direct me to other resources? Thank you for your time. Link to shared google drive photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Yz-R3GGQCnWAJ6JZD0opphTRRLAHlAtZ     Sorry if this post is posted in the right area I know almost nothing about binoculars.

Niall McLaren

• Global Moderator
Re: Galilean opera glass questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
Hi Simon - opera glasses were usually used for their designed purpose ie the opera, as their low power and relatively wide angle view made them ideal. The ones in your link are marked High Power Field Glass rather than opera glasses (which are usually fairly short and squat) and there's little need for a compass at the opera.

In the First War the lack of enough optics made anything better than nothing and they may have seen unofficial use but without provenance, it's impossible to be sure. Their design differed little over the decades so dating them can be problematic. France was a huge maker of optics and, as you say, supplied US Civil War binoculars before the States began making their own. They also made thousands of both official and unoficial filed glasses for use by Britian in the First War as the huge expansion in our forces found British manufacturing struggling. ;)
Kind Regards,
Niall
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Rodolfo Peirano

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Kien Lu

• Premium Membership
  • Membership
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
Hello, Simon.
Your post gave me the opportunity to share my Voigtlander, serial number 53104 no matching military
number as on the case dated 1912. Wonder if this model was one of the oldest with Swedish marking?
Regards, Kien.

Peter De Laet

• Administrator
    • The Eye of the Flak
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
Our French member Bruno Pietrini is working on a book about exactly this kind of glasses - I believe his work can be expected somewhere in 2020.
"Wer schaffen will, muss fröhlich sein!" Theodor Fontane, 1819-1898.

Winfried Tuerk

• Premium Membership
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
I believe his work can be expected somewhere in 2020.

He Peter, is it possibe to subscribe to the interesting book? I'm a big fan of French Galilean binoculars ;)
live without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "live without puc is possible ..."

Peter De Laet

• Administrator
    • The Eye of the Flak
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
Hi Winfried, I believe it is. Maybe best to PM Bruno.
"Wer schaffen will, muss fröhlich sein!" Theodor Fontane, 1819-1898.

Simon Kimberly

• Membership
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 10:52:39 PM »
Our French member Bruno Pietrini is working on a book about exactly this kind of glasses
How can i contact bruno?