May 31, 2020, 11:32:36 am

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

Srb a Štys - Prague - Czechoslovakia

Started by Ondrej Vonka, August 09, 2019, 01:54:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ondrej Vonka

I have my grandfather's binoculars Srb a Štys - Praha, Nocturnis 7x50.
Does anyone have any information about this telescope?
The number has 202858. Is this postwar production?
Thank you

Niall McLaren

Hi Ondrej,
  I think it post WW" - see below;

Srb and Stys SS Dienstglas - Page 2 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com ...
www.wehrmacht-awards.com › ... › Optics Forum

15 Apr 2016 - 14 posts
a former employee (Vogel) claimed they continued exporting under German control and here's one I spotted, a 7x50 Nocturnis made for Sweden marked Prag, serial 61408 and 8/41;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ww2-sueca-Mi...p2047675.l2557

Regards,
Niall ;)
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Peter De Laet

Hello Ondrej,

From what I have been told Srb & Štys discontinued their serial number system in the early 1950's. I have one bmk "folding eyecup" 7 x 50 Dienstglas here, late war production model ser nr 152990 - similar serial number system to yours. So yes, I would tend to agree with Niall; yours probably is a post war specimen.
"Wer schaffen will, muss fröhlich sein!" Theodor Fontane, 1819-1898.

Niall McLaren

Believe it or not - whilst rummaging today I came across one I'd forgotten about. I think it early post WW2 and the serial's lower than Ondrej's (I'll check it tomorrow) ;)
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Alex Lipton

Gents,

Nocturnus #61XXX was produced in 1941, Dienstglas #234XXX was produced DURING the war (obviously)

Best

Alex

Frank Lagorio

August 10, 2019, 07:41:09 am #5 Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:49:29 am by Frank Lagorio
Note the Srb & Stys/bmk serial numbers in this listing: https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10752 . The listing indicates that during WW II Srb & Stys serial numbers did not go much higher than into the 160000's. The single anomaly is
the 10x50 Porro by name:

"Srbastys, Prag (marked so)
287424, B, R, Re, leahter benutzer cap"

which given the odd name marking instead of a bmk coding may be of post-war assembly and thus, not indicative of actual WW II serial number range.

Peter De Laet

Thanks Frank and Alex,

Seems we've got work to do on Srb & Stys/bmk serials as well... Maybe one of our Czech members here might be of assistance.
"Wer schaffen will, muss fröhlich sein!" Theodor Fontane, 1819-1898.

Marek Jenicek

German war productions went up to 172000