July 13, 2020, 07:06:14 pm

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

concerning "unread posts"

Started by Zbig Fiema, April 15, 2020, 01:55:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zbig Fiema

In the previous version of Binopedia, there was a separation between "New unread posts" and "New unread replies" to one's posts. Is this distinction still preserved somewhere in the new version? I thought it was quite useful. Cheers, Zbig

Uli Zeun

Can't remember exactly how it was named. AMybe it is the item "updated topics" right to the "unread posts".
You can find the last posts in the forum in general at the bottom in the info center.
Moreover, yo ucan make seveal settings in your profile concerning notifications.
You cannot see attachments on this board.
* Mr. Monocular *

Zbig Fiema

Thanks a lot, Uli. I just have to get used to the new format of Binopedia. As for my question, what is left is "Unread Posts" but not separated into general ones and being responses to my responses. Also, I have noted that once pressing "Unread Posts" I do get a list of topics that I have not read before, marked as "New". But I have also noticed that the vignette "New" stays with the topic even if I have already read it and nobody contributed to the subject after I have read it. I find it a bit confusing.
Finally. I see that the "internal mail" among the Binopedia members is no longer there?
Anyway, one just needs to get adjusted... sorry for comments; not meant as criticism
Best regards, Zbig

Uli Zeun

... I have to get used to the new functions and where I have the old ones or not as well.
I had the same problem that I cannot send personal messages. I will look, if there is any admin setting handling that.

Keep in mind, if you do not know anyway, the fucntionality of the new forum software is not programmed or developped by BHS, but by the simple machines people and community. This 2.1 version is not the final but sort of a pre-version of it. So, all errors or obstacles should be reported.
* Mr. Monocular *

Rodolfo Peirano

Quote from: Zbig Fiema on April 15, 2020, 11:53:59 pmFinally. I see that the "internal mail" among the Binopedia members is no longer there?

To send personal messages, I click on the user's name, then "Send PM". It may not be the only method, but it works
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Zbig Fiema

Please do not misunderstand me. I do appreciate your work toward the improvement, and your explanatory assistance but I just think this version is unnecessarily complicated... All functions that I have mentioned above were before accessible on the single front page; now one needs to go from this to that, etc..  :(

Uli Zeun

Yes, I agree, Zbig. For me it was a bit more clearly arranged as well.
the update was a consequence of the March breakdown of the forum database or system functionality.
IT seems to have solved the problems of accessing the forum and database ata ll. There were some staarnge interenet protocoll erros and misinterpretations by the system.
Anyway, we will have to get aquainted to it now, hoping that the pre-version of 2.1 gets some bug fixes for the final 2.1 version.
Uli
* Mr. Monocular *

Rodolfo Peirano

Quote from: Zbig Fiema on April 16, 2020, 03:30:16 pmPlease do not misunderstand me. I do appreciate your work toward the improvement, and your explanatory assistance but I just think this version is unnecessarily complicated... All functions that I have mentioned above were before accessible on the single front page; now one needs to go from this to that, etc..  :(

Frankly I don't remember all the old version PM management, but I know from experience that developers sometimes complicate things in an attempt to improve. A matter of opinion :)

We have to adapt, however it seems to me that this 2.1 version has been improved overall.

Niall McLaren

As a Taurean, I hate change but I'm happy to go with the flow and appreciate the efforts of the IT crew.

It did seem simpler before though - but when you weigh up simlicity of use against losing a months worth of posts... 
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Uli Zeun

We are  more in for astronomy here than for astrology. ;)
* Mr. Monocular *

Niall McLaren

I'm a "bull in a china shop" as you know Uli. ;D

Zbig Fiema

I am with you, Niall  ;)
One more thing I should report (?) is that I still cannot properly login. I do receive a small screen saying "ERROR". But if I first click on "Sign up" and only then "Log in" then the proper login screen appears. Go, figure..... >:(  Anyway, no big problem; I can continue like this...

Niall McLaren

Rodolfo Peirano

Quote from: Zbig Fiema on April 16, 2020, 11:58:06 pmOne more thing I should report (?) is that I still cannot properly login. I do receive a small screen saying "ERROR". But if I first click on "Sign up" and only then "Log in" then the proper login screen appears. Go, figure..... >:(  Anyway, no big problem; I can continue like this...

Me too Zbig, Same little problem. :)