July 13, 2020, 05:53:01 pm

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

Re: Askania Pantex 6x 30 1930 #89801

Started by Winfried Tuerk, May 24, 2020, 02:32:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Winfried Tuerk

May 24, 2020, 02:32:26 pm Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:48:30 pm by Uli Zeun
Here are a couple of pics of the Askania 6x30 Pantex.
living without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "living without puc is possible ..."

Giovanni Pireddu

Distinguished Winfried, it would be nice to know something about this brand unknown to me.
Greetings

Winfried Tuerk

Hi Giovanni,

Unfortunately, I found only information in German language... :(

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askania_Werke

1871 they were founded in Berlin as Bambergwerke in the Linienstraße 185 and renamed in Askania Werke in 1912.
Armaments production was an important part in the company's history. In the 1920s they became the most important manufacturer of aviation and navigation instruments in Germany. They manufactured "big" optics like sights for anti aircraft canons (FLAK) and U-boot periscopes. They developed parts of the "Wunderwaffen" V1 and V2 too.

They had a good reputation for grinding their lenses.

After the war the Askania was splittet into a publicly-owned business in East (DDR) and several different companies in Western Germany.

Uwe uploaded a nice overview of the Askania product in 1937, see attachment.

All the best - Winfried
living without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "living without puc is possible ..."

Giovanni Pireddu

Thanks Winfried.  The number of German optical manufacturers is impressive!

Niall McLaren

May 25, 2020, 02:06:16 pm #4 Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:07:54 pm by Niall McLaren
I have one and I think the "AG" indicates it was made after 1921.

After Carl Bamberg died in 1892, his wife took control of the company. His son took control of the firm in 1904. In 1921 the company merged with another company to form Askania Werke AG

PS Why is this in Galilean section?
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Winfried Tuerk

May 25, 2020, 06:32:47 pm #5 Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:34:28 pm by Winfried Tuerk
Thanks Niall, the Pantex surely was made after 1921.

PS Why is this in Galilean section?

Good question Niall, we've to ask Uli Zeun who has splitted my Askania Opera Glas (including the Pantex pics) post into two parts...Would you be kind and shift the post to the right section? ;)

Frank Lagorio

May 25, 2020, 10:05:13 pm #6 Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:08:16 pm by Frank Lagorio
"Thanks Winfried.  The number of German optical manufacturers is impressive!"

A while ago I created a quick listing of the inter-war German hand-held binocular manufacturers I knew about. The listing is not complete and there may be errors. Revisions are encouraged.

Giovanni Pireddu

Quote from: Frank Lagorio on May 25, 2020, 10:05:13 pm"Thanks Winfried.  The number of German optical manufacturers is impressive!"

A while ago I created a quick listing of the inter-war German hand-held binocular manufacturers I knew about. The listing is not complete and there may be errors. Revisions are encouraged.

Thank Frank.

Rodolfo Peirano

Thanks Frank.

If we refer to the three-letter code, during the war, only in Germany, there were 126 that dealt with optics and related accessories.
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Winfried Tuerk

The listing is not complete and there may be errors. Revisions are encouraged.

Hello Frank, thanks for the listing.

We should add (only civilian prism binoculars makers between the wars):

- Rathenow: Nitschke (Genira, Plastvista); SRB = Schulze & Bartels (Aniston)
- Ernemann (Dresden)
- Harwix (Hamburg: Mirakel, Rekord, Germania)
- Kahles (Wien)
- Keiner (Wetzlar: 8x25 Leichtglas, Kosmos)
- Leidolf (Wetzlar)
- Kassel: Froehlich, Dr. Schröder

All the best - Winfried

Rodolfo Peirano

From my database, if we consider Germany and all the countries that supplied Germany, here you can find the WW2 list of manufactures. Some are repeated several times as they have had different codes.

If you find some error please tell me.
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Peter Schmoll Jr.

Askania has produced another civilian model. It is galilean and has the size 6x46. It is called "PERMAR". It may have been built before the Pantex and may have been replaced by it. In any case it has an earlier serial number.  Interesting are the retractable sun visors.
In the picture I have photographed both models in comparison.

Winfried Tuerk

Thanks Junior for showing this interesting Galilean model I was not aware so far. It appears to be in the group of civil models that are descendant of the military FG08 (made i.g. by Gerard, Schütz, Spindler & Hoyer).