September 28, 2020, 05:57:49 am

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

Indian Army 6 x 30s

Started by mjbwatson, September 09, 2020, 02:31:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mjbwatson

I recently acquired a pair of 6x30 binoculars which seem to have Indian Army markings. As you can see from the attached photos, the left hand prism box cover has the following inscriptions "BINO. PRISM. No 2 TPL Mk 3", with an Indian Army broad arrow and "I.OS-MA     x6" and "No IF 2237". The right hand prism box cover has the usual British forces style graticule language "Graticules 1/2o apart and 1/4o, 1/2o and 1o high" (although the graticule itself is missing) and "OFD 1967". There seem to be desiccant containers next to the objective lenses. Has anybody come across a similar pair? I'd love to know who manufactured them, when they were in service and to which units they would have been issued?

Niall McLaren

September 09, 2020, 10:59:33 am #1 Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:04:17 am by Niall McLaren
Made in India to a British design at Calcutta - there's a shiny pair on Ebay right now;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-BINO-PRISM-NO-3-TPL-MK-3-MILITARY-ARMY-FIELD-BINOCULARS/142465568786

I have a British pair from the 20's with blanks over the objective dessicant holes and the suffix "D" behind the Mk no.

Notice how the shiny ones have no ocular plate dessicator port - neither does my 20's one although, post war Wray made RAF 6x30's with this arrgt.

I would imagine your's are 1969 issue (or adaption) and the shiny ones 1949 as they both have serials on the other plate. As to who used them? It's a standard infantry style bino so could have been used by anyone including armoured units.

"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Frank Lagorio

September 09, 2020, 06:23:21 pm #2 Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:31:03 pm by Frank Lagorio
This is mine dated 1950. Note I repainted the body because the polishing looked so godawful. Pictures taken about a year ago. Today the prism plates are getting tarnished and look better.

Frank Lagorio

One more picture. Note the notches somebody cut in objective housings so he could unscrew it. Also, there are gouges from plier jaws on the focus rings. Binocular's been bloody butchered.

Niall McLaren

Nice Frank. The shiny one has slots for removal too (I thought them original).

Frank Lagorio

The shiny one also has IPD plate at the wrong end as was mine when I received it. I think both were "serviced" at the same shop.

Niall McLaren

mjbwatson's pair seem a bit "belt and braces" in having both dessicant fittings and dessicator points.