October 22, 2020, 01:40:26 am

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

Asembi Genesis - a Zeiss bed time story

Started by Peter De Laet, September 18, 2020, 11:06:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter De Laet

Dear friends,

Recently I came across this article in a Zeiss Werkzeitung from 1931. Although I find it a bit hard to believe I kind of enjoyed reading it - I hope you do as well...

Only luminousity!

(Once upon a time) Some twenty years ago, we received a visit from a rich Englishman, owner of weaver factory in Manchester. He resided in the "Schwarzer Bär" (a hotel well known to some of our BHS-members) and arrived (at our factory) in a carriage drawn by two horses - at that time taxi's weren't yet available in Jena.

The man from Manchester informed us that he had visited our representative in London, asking for a telescope with a maximal luminousity - magnification was of secondary importance. Our London representatives weren't able to fulfill the man's extraordinary wish and told him "Well, you'd better go to Jena, we're sure they'll be able to answer your wishes to full satisfaction". And so it went. We informed our esteemed guest; "yes, when it is luminousity you are after, and magnification is of secondary importance only, it would be best to use no telescope at all. Nothing can compete with the naked eye when it comes to luminousity".

Somewhat stunned and irritated because of this advice, the Englishman replied "well, why did I undertake this long journey then, if there is nothing of interest to buy here?". We did everything within our might in order to convince this madman of our claims, but weren't able to convince him at all. Long last we recommended him a practical test and invited him to return in the evening; on the factory's rooftop and making use of a search light, we wanted to show him which high luminousity telescope would be best for him. The Englishman kind of liked this suggestion. That evening, when it already was quite dark, we lighted the Jenaer mountains with our biggest search light, and our esteemed guest looked at the lit mountainside using several binoculars. Slowly but steadily, our visitor came to the conclusion that magnification played a certain role when it comes to observation quality. He was particularly impressed by a comet searcher with 12, 20 and 40 x magnification. This glass he had to have. "This is what I've been searching for" he said, "but" so he continued, "I want this glass desinged is such a way that I can look through it using both eyes, the glas must be made using two telescopes, just like a binocular".

We told him that such a glass didn't exist but that we were prepared to build one especially for him. And so it happened; because of these special requirements, the special model and our very first double telescope 12, 20, 40 x 80, the ASEMBI binocular, was born. Even nowadays this model is enjoying an ever increasing popularity,  combing good luminousity with a relative high magnification while using both eyes. 
"Wer schaffen will, muss fröhlich sein!" Theodor Fontane, 1819-1898.

Peter Schmoll Jr.

Quote from: Peter De Laet on September 18, 2020, 11:06:36 pmAlthough I find it a bit hard to believe I kind of enjoyed reading it

So did I. Very interesting ! The best ideas seems to come from the market itself :)  Thanks for sharing it !

Junior

Niall McLaren

owner of weaver factory

Zeiss have woven an amusing tale. Thanks Peter. ;)
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Rodolfo Peirano

Thanks dear Peter, interesting vintage article.

Nothing can compete with the naked eye when it comes to luminousity".

No comment  ::)

It's true, sometimes it's the market that influences the projects, but it seems a bit surreal to me. Only for advertising ?

everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Robert Forslund

Thank you Peter,

I will sleep god tonight knowing  that I have an Asembi in my collection.

Niall McLaren

Before you visit the land of Nod, give thanks to the eccentric Manchester weaver king. ;D
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard