December 02, 2020, 08:17:20 PM

News:

As a Premium Member you have access to research information and catalogues.

End XIX century ? Nationality ?

Started by Rodolfo Peirano, October 22, 2020, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodolfo Peirano

This is my only pull-out telescope.

Found several years ago in Trieste, it's engraved with the crown and the anchor besides what I think is the owner's name.

L. Sch. Lt. Y.Dolénc

Can anyone help me with identification ?
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Zbig Fiema

Belgian Royal Navy??? (the shape of the anchor and the rope)

Rodolfo Peirano

Tanks Zbig, I wonder if "Lt" can mean in Flemish "Luitenant" and "Sch" "Schip" but "L" ?

Y.Dolénc can be of Flemish origin ?

Peter,If you're in there, hit me . . .  ;)

Hans Leichtfried

October 24, 2020, 10:45:14 AM #3 Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:59:30 PM by Rodolfo Peirano
Or could it be the mark of the Italian Navy?
Here on an Officine Galileo Triog.

Hans
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Niall McLaren

October 24, 2020, 11:03:06 AM #4 Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 11:07:36 AM by Niall McLaren
To be fair - most royal navies of the period would have similar symbols - a fouled anchor with a crown and cross.

What marks this one out is the pennants coming out of the bottom of the crown which I've not seen before.

It's also worth considereing merchant navy use - the British Merchant Navy use a similar (but not identical) symbol on their caps etc
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Rodolfo Peirano

Quote from: Hans Leichtfried on October 24, 2020, 10:45:14 AMOr could it be the mark of the Italian Navy?

Possible Hans, thanks.

Searching on Google I found that "Dolenc" is a name is original of Croatia.

Quote from Internet
Dolenc families are usually Croats and they are mostly from Nasice area , rarely Slovenes. In the past century, relatively most of Croatian residents bearing this family name were born in Varazdin and Zagreb.

Trieste, where I found the optic, was an important military military port also linked to Austria and the countries of the former Yugoslavia.

"Sch" can mean Schiff and "Lt" Leutnant in German.

Niall McLaren

October 24, 2020, 09:27:51 PM #6 Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:31:51 PM by Niall McLaren
Doesn't the earlier Regia Marina anchor have an eagle in front and isn't Rodlfo's fouled rope on the other side from that on the Triog?

Rodolfo Peirano

October 25, 2020, 02:12:26 AM #7 Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 01:28:50 PM by Rodolfo Peirano
You are right Niall,

I too have seen the eagle in front af the anchor (earliest symbol)

but after, from further research, the coat of arms of the Regia Marina was this:

instead this of the Imperial Austro-Hungarian navy was this:

Very similar to my one.

Cfr: Almanacco navale 1948

Zbig Fiema

The third one is indeed very similar, Rodolfo, except that the rope twists in the opposite way. But other than that it looks very similar. So maybe k.u k. Marine (with Croatian connections)? 

Niall McLaren

I think  you've cracked it Rodolfo - the Imperial Austro-Hungarian navy anchor seems the only one with banners coming from the crown. If it was hand engraved from memory, it's easy to confuse which side the rope is but more difficult to forget the banners.

It seems in some the rope even covered both sides of the anchor;

Dinner Plate from the Imperial Austro-Hungarian Empire's Navy date coded 1898 or 1910 depending on the interpretation of Royal Worcester's date code

https://www.thepirateslair.com/international-naval-china-and-tableware-of-the-world/austro-hungarian-empire-navy-dinnerware.html

Giuseppe ROMANO

Buongiorno Rodolfo,
The coat of arms that you shown is from the Italian MARINA MILITARE, post war...whitauth the crown but whit the insigna called ITALIA TURRITA

Rodolfo Peirano

Interesting Web site Niall. Several emblems and and many different from each other.

Of course, hand engraving can be slightly different.