December 02, 2020, 08:02:02 PM

News:

As a Premium Member you have access to research information and catalogues.

Hungarian "41" 8x30 wide field

Started by Jack Innis, November 12, 2020, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Innis

Hello, I am seeking manufacturer information on these, I believe they are post war Hungarian. There are no other markings anywhere that I can find, even rims. Any ideas on their heritage?
Thank you very kindly in advance, Jack

Niall McLaren

I think 41 indicates the factory or nation code (like 131 for Polish binos and 20 for Bulgarian) - They could be MOM of Budapest. I've a pair somewhere but I think they're 6x30.

Do they have the usual yellow tint?
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Jack Innis

Yes but not as much as the IOR 7x40. I guess they could be MOM, German, or Russian (or D, none of the above)...it sure would be nice to narrow it down though.
Thanks,
Jack

Niall McLaren

We have narrowed it down Jack - they display all the characteristics of MOM binos.

Dienstglas MOM 8x30, Code 41

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Fernglas-Binoculars-codiertes-Dienstglas-MOM-8x30-Code-41-IR-Aufklaerungshilfe-/302042058874

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=302042058874&t=1462086052000&category=15503&seller=chevyjonny&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=16&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.ie&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=2&secureDesc=0&oversion=3db90eca

Die Zahl 41 ist eine Codierung für MOM welche häufig auf
ungarischen Dienstgläsern anzutreffen ist.

ie

The number 41 is a code for MOM which often appears
Hungarian service glasses can be found. 

Jack Innis

Fantastic! That's just the information I was looking for. Thank you Niall.
Jack

Niall McLaren

A pleasure Jack. By a strange coincidence, I've just bought an unmarked MOM 6x30, made for civilian sale to the west in the 60's, and it's probably the best 6x30 I have. A strange combination of the ultra clear optics and yellow tint makes it my goto bino now. ;)

Niall McLaren

Thanks Hans - I have one like your's but it's black and with no markings.