July 13, 2020, 05:57:06 pm

News:

Binopedia has changed the design, let us know what you think.

Goerz monokular

Started by Per Ejler, March 09, 2018, 03:00:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Ejler

Goerz monokular focus is adjusted by a small brass wing. These monokular are so early that they don't carry a production number. 9X "Motrigon" 12X "Motrio".

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d4/5c/1a/d45c1a45556cf2bc6f7bfb384141dce5.jpg

Rodolfo Peirano

everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Winfried Tuerk

The uninformed pupil is asking: What was the little brass lever made for?
living without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "living without puc is possible ..."

Per Ejler

Most monokular are focused by turning the okular but these origine from the Goerz trieder binocle with rack & pinion to adjust interpupillary distance,  It is this that is replaced with the small wing. So the okular can not turn, and to focus you turn the wing.

Here the serie of binoculars. The 3X seem to be very difficult to find;

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/81/c3/e081c326d4b4630fbc0f79938335660d.jpg

Winfried Tuerk

March 09, 2018, 02:53:29 pm #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:57:11 pm by Winfried Tuerk
Hej Per, thank you for the explanation, now I got it ;)

One have to admit: Looking at your wonderful binoculars one might get slightly envious...This is true to the binoculars themselves as well as to your tasteful arrangements. Are you interested in still life?
living without binoculars is possible but senseless - paraphrasing Loriot "living without puc is possible ..."

Per Ejler

I never thought I would start collecting antique and vintage binoculars but when it started it soon became uncontrollable. Then came the Lace books, the Full frame photo, and the vintage 35 mm. lenses.   Funny in a way, as what has that to do with Boat Building, Architecture and painting....  Well I guess I always looked for the good things in life ;))

Winfried Tuerk

So you're boat builder, architect and painter als well?

Uli Zeun

This lever focusing mechanism was first used by Ignacio Porro (and later  by his co-worker J.G. Hofmann) for his prism monocular "Longue-vue Cornet"
* Mr. Monocular *

Winfried Tuerk

Danke Uli für die aussagekräftigen Bilder! Jetzt kann ich mir die Funktion richtig gut vorstellen. Viele Grüße

Thanks for the pictures, Uli. Now the lever's function is to understand even better! Cheers

Uli Zeun

March 09, 2018, 06:45:27 pm #9 Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:13:56 pm by Uli Zeun
You're welcome.
I show pictures of the rack and pinion system inside the Goerz monocular on my webpage for the 9x20 model  - www.monocular.info/goerz9x20lev.htm - and in my book in the chapter about the prism monoculars around 1900.
In Hans Seeger's first volume on Zeiss a dismantled Hofmann monocular os depicted.
* Mr. Monocular *

Rodolfo Peirano

Uli, you have certainly tried, the use of the lever is as precise as that of the traditional eyepiece screw ?
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Per Ejler

Different ; it is more difficult to adjust an okular without taking your eye from it. There the winged adjustment are much more handy.

Uli Zeun

March 12, 2018, 07:41:05 pm #12 Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:03:02 pm by Uli Zeun
Hello Rodolfo,
sorry, only recognized your asking me for when reading Per's answer.
I haven't really compared the fine adjustment. There are two aspects, of course:
a) if the lever mechanism is quite loose, you may push in the eyepiece accidentally with your eye-socket
b) the lever focusing may allow one-haned use for ficusing, thus keeping a hand free for other actions or things --> this was one of I. Porro's ideas of (t)his Lever focusing, because he intended to have his monoculars for cavalrymen holding the monocular in one hand and the reigns or weapons in the other hand. (you cannot focus most of the monoculars with helical rotating eyepiece systems with just one hand)
* Mr. Monocular *

Per Ejler

Thank you, -- that is very interesting and it make sense.  Though age I guess, made one of ours a bit uncertain. If the wing is turned to much back, it fall out of reach of the internal wheel and you must push the okular slightly back into grib. In one way handy though as that way you can adjust the wing so it grip in any position. Age I guess or a stop bit got vorn.