September 28, 2020, 06:25:22 am

News:

Hope all members are healthy and well

A little Officine Galileo

Started by Rodolfo Peirano, March 16, 2018, 10:21:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodolfo Peirano

Here a little "Officine Galileo"

It seem a theater binoculars but the magnification is 6x: perhaps used in the racecourses.

The focusing is adjusted by a objective that, with a knurling that meshes on the other, allows the movement of both.

The dimensions are about 6.5 cm x 11 cm
everyone can learn from everyone - Rodolfo

Greg Boreland

Nice little set they look very compact, Cheers Greg.

Niall McLaren

Maybe it like Zeiss's tourist or vest pocket optics? I think the Deltrintem was popular for horseracing - lightweight and powerful like the ideal racehorse.  ;)
"A little bit of something beats a whole lot of nothing." - Little Richard

Rodolfo Peirano

In those years, for tourists, the Zeiss was also 6x18, but of poorer quality, also with a fully internal focusing.

I think the Zeiss was less expensive than Galileo.

Niall McLaren

I wonder if the red Galileo was made for ladies to use? Us men are seldom fashion conscious and it does look particularly alluring.

I once had a maroon leather Swarovski 8x30 in a matching soft shoulder case which was supposedly made for fashionable women. It didn't stop me using it but it's gone now. ;)

Rodolfo Peirano

The small Officine Galileo 6x was offered to customers in red, green lizard and black with related leather cases of the same color. It may be that the bright colors liked the ladies more. . . ;)

I have recently seen your SWAROVSKI OPTIK TIROL MODELL 8x30 of the image, in light blue.

Alex Lipton

Rodolfo,

Yours is exceedingly beautiful.

Here is some other beautiful pieces.

http://uranialigustica.altervista.org/strumentaria/sangiorgio_binocoli.htm

Alex

Niall McLaren

A great site - the Astramar looks awesome.

Alex Lipton

Rodolfo Peirano

Urania is a website well known to Ligurian bino fans  :)

I known also the Astramar in the picture posted by Niall. (mythical Sag.Giorgio model)
Unfortunately this one he suffered a "heavy" restoration  :-\

In my opinion it would have been better to keep it in the original conditions, but everyone does what he thinks best. . .

Here another one paint stripped, offered on Catawiky, and an original in action.